Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Love reading your comments

Tuesday 23 Jun 6.39pm

Hi my dearest family and cousins,

I'm so happy to read each of your comments one by one. They mean alot of me coz they are my link to home when I am away in a faraway land.

I'm doing great here, Stella and Stacey. I've been enjoying the food so much that I always make it a point to finish all that's on the plate despite it being American portion. I hope to put on at least 5kg when I return home. Haha.... =:oD And I'm really beginning to get used to the cool weather here. Initially on my first few days, I felt cold but now, I enjoy feeling cool breeze on my face while the rays of the sun touches my skin. (My heart goes out to you guys back home coz I heard a few ppl complaining about the heat back home on Facebook)
Uncle Jay, yeah, I'm making new friends here and the experience is very powerful in shaping my perspectives and leaving memories that will last a life-time. Things that I would say NO to in the past, I am beginning to say YES to!
  • Don't say 'NO' to considering emigrating overseas even if your country is stable, safe and comfortable
  • Don't say 'NO' to considering having an ang-moh girlfriend or wife becoz there have been cases when fellow GV alumni have gotten married (case in point: Mexican guy + French girl)
  • It's all about being open-minded and trying to accept ideas/possibilities before passing judgement.
Last nite was the GV opening dinner. It was a magnificent sight to view the different national costumes of the 107 interns from 53 countries. You need to be here personally to fully appreciate the wonderful experience of attending a party that almost resembles a United Nations gathering. Do see the pictures and videos I uploaded on Facebook for this.

Well, as we go deeper into communal living and interacting daily with different personalities, some of the quirkiness of individual characters become observable and felt personally. It's a challenge to think of how to react to a situation where this individual persists in walking deep into your room each time, even after you pass him the item that he needs at the door or when there isn't a need to enter the room. And you really don't have the heart to tell him that it bothers you becoz firstly, he's your activity buddy and secondly, if you try to stand firm at the door, he asks if you don't welcome him. Sigh.... just a lament. Thinking postively, perhaps he sees me as a close friend to be doing that?

On the brighter side, Antonio my room-mate is absolutely fantastic! He's such a nice person to live with and he offers to share many things with me as I do with him. It's a healthy living atmosphere we both created so I'm blessed to have him as a room mate. He's such an easy going guy with a shining personality. Heard him mention my name a few times while talking to his family back home (and as some of you are thinking in your heads now: NO, he wasn't gossiping about me =:oP)

Lastly and most importantly, to my family back home: mummy, daddy and sis, I love you and I am thinking of you. Thanks for the love and hugs sis! *hugs and kisses back*

Here're some photos that I thot u might enjoy:


Here's the national costume of Denmark - Vikings! Kasper on the right is an impressive 2.03m! He towers over me. Can you imagine trying to have a face to face conversation with this guy?





A preview of the costumes that were worn during the GV opening dinner (it was a pity that my camera battery went flat just after taking a few pics. I've learnt my lesson now to always bring a spare camera battery during important functions)





Earlier on in the day, we had lunch at a Mexican restaurant. we all had Nachos with Salsa and Frito Pollo - Mexican rice with chicken, fries and vegetables. In accordance with my aim to put on 5kg when I return home, I finished the entire plate! *grin* =:oD Yet another victory!


Try guessing what's this........ (if you still can't figure it out, scroll down right at the bottom for answer) But give it a try first!
I could upload photos and talk about my experience all day but alas, there's work to be done! I really need to start working on my country presentation since I have not done so. And sigh....... it's a challenge to juggle work and social coz my activity buddy just enthusiastically knocked on my door again with a smile to ask me to play pool.
But no worries, I know my priorities so I'll spend just a little while to entertain him before returning to my work. Ultimately, I work so hard back home in NUS that I often neglect friendships. So when I come here, one of my intentions is to build life-long friendships. And that's why this time I'm gonna oblige him =:o)
All of you are in my thoughts from time to time and I hope all's well back home. Don't worry about me because what they have done here at Global Village is to create a very safe and conducive environment for us to interact and make mistakes.
(And for the answer to the last picture above: it's actually a universal TV remote. Why so BIG? Is it for the blind to 'see' it? Well, the answer is on the packaging: "Never lose your remote again!") Hell yeah!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sherwin
    Knowing you are enjoying and coping well with the new environment is great! Have Fund!

    As regards to open mind, having to open your mind to the ideas is great but to implementing the ideas is a different thing all together.

    And to enter a relationship to form a family with "cross-country and culture) is a TOTAL differenct things all together -- It is like Hell and heaven! It is not so much about the other parties, it is rather about ourselves that are we be able to live and interact with othes who have a very difference life style and believe systems...... Most important things to know is whether your stage of mind and psycology are ready for that or not (This is another level of thoughts again!) Don't play paly:-)

    Look forward to read your post of sharing with us your thoughts and feeling, breakthrough in your learning experience as well as interact with all your counterparts in GV! Believe you have good time with your room-mate, Antonio, and hope you could learn from him too!

    Well done and keep it up with high spirit
    May GOD bless you and take good care of yourself!

    with warmest regards
    Uncle Jay

    ReplyDelete