WOW! What an amazing 4th of July celebration I had today. I went to Alicia Fowler's home - yes, it's not just a house but a HOME! Alicia's home was absolutely beautiful. It was big and cosy. They had a Japanese fish pond, a white tent specially set up for the food, a yard to play a ring-toss game, outdoor chairs and tables with umbrellas, and to complete the setting - a dog whose owner was John (Alicia's boyfriend).
But ultimately what made the experience so memorable was the amazing hospitality by Alicia and her family. They made us feel so welcomed at their home and they prepared such a feast for us! Mary-France's 2 daughters (Rebecca and Alexis Leon) and Jennifer were also there to join in the fun. Additionally, Alicia's family like her aunt Judy and uncle Santos was also present to make the entire atmosphere so homely and cosy.
I really enjoyed talking to Rebecca, Jennifer and Santos over appetizers and dinner. We talked about meaningful stuff instead of just casual banter. Rebecca left a very good impression on me as an intellectual girl.
(On the left is Jennifer, a teacher who is also an 'ox' while Rebecca is on the right and she is a 'dragon'. Apparently both ladies know about the Chinese zodiac)
Following the desserts (smores was just one the plentiful dessert laid before the table), we played with sparklers to celebrate 4th July.
We bade Alicia and her wonderful family farewell to come back to Lehigh to catch the 9.15pm fireworks. But not before taking a picture with Alicia and her boyfriend John and also with Alicia's Dad, Dave Fowler.
A few of us went to the Mc Conn rooftop to catch the fireworks. The entire fireworks lasted 30 mins and it is simply magnificient. The fireworks display during National Day cannot even compare to what I witnessed tonight! There were so many patterns and the fireworks covered such a HUGE sky area. I took so many pictures and videos of the fireworks because it is truly a spectacular sight to behold. Below is just one of the videos that I took. It is the best video but still it is just ONE of the many videos.
Although it is a nice video, still it doesn't do full justice to the grandeur of what I witnessed before my very eyes. It was a moving scene because of the beauty and scale of the display.
Do have a look at the pics I uploaded on Facebook of Alicia's beautiful home and also of the fireworks display. When I return home, I will show you more videos of the fireworks. It's a MUST-SEE to watch how Americans celebrate Independence Day with a big bang!
Sherwin, thanks for sharing the photos & videos with us back home. it is really great to celebrate July 4 with Alicia's family and cherish the hospitality they had showered on all the interns. this is a great experience to see how other country celebrate their independence day. happy that you had two days in a row that you can cherish for the rest of your life. A great learning experience! hope there are more to come that will ber valuable and valuable to you. got to sign off to call you on the phone. Take care. with love from your dad.
ReplyDeleteHappy day Sherwin
ReplyDeleteNice to hear that your are adopting yourself to the GV environment very well and especially enjoying yourself so much interacting with all your classmates!
We all miss you at home and glad that you are meeting lots of different people and making new friends at GV! You must have a great experiences to visiting your friend, Alica's HOME and this is a wonderful experience right!
Post more notes and we could spype as well!
Take good care of yourself and enhance your life experience by learning more from all your counterparts!
Cheers.....
with love from Sureen and Uncle Jay